The Last Jedi Director Discusses His New Star Wars Trilogy

There has been a lot of news for Star Wars fans to keep up with over the past couple of months, from

Johnson went to explain that while he was developing the overall story for the new trilogy, he wouldn’t necessarily direct all three films. “Honestly I don’t know yet,” he said. “I know I’m gonna come up with the whole thing. The idea is to come up with one big story, but I know I’m gonna write and direct at least the first one. Even the first one at this point we’re still figuring out, so I don’t know yet. But I know I want to come up with the whole thing and then we’ll see.”

Johnson also cleared up the rumor that he was in line to direct Episode IX following the departure of original director Colin Trevorrow in September. “It was totally separate; it was never in the cards for me to [direct Episode IX]. I was always gonna finish [The Last Jedi] and then hand it off to the next filmmaker.” The Force Awakens director JJ Abrams will now direct the 2019 release.

The Last Jedi hits theaters on December 15. A new international trailer was revealed today, which features the first look at the movie’s casino planet Canto Bight. In addition, a new video of Daisy Ridley, who plays Rey in the movie, training to use a lightsaber was released last week.

Ridley has also revealed that she plans to leave the series after Episode IX in 2019. “I am really, really excited to do the third thing and round it out, because ultimately, what I was signing on to was three films,” she said. “So in my head, it’s three films. I think it will feel like the right time to round it out.”

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

  View Comments (0)

Powered by WPeMatico